Deaths, complications uncomplicate the matter -- abortion isn't safe

Deaths, complications uncomplicate the matter -- abortion isn't safe

Deaths, complications uncomplicate the matter -- abortion isn't safe

According to the evidence collected by an abortion watchdog group, two southwestern states continue to prove that abortion is not safe for women.

Operation Rescue has finally received requested public information on three abortions that took place at the Fifth Street Planned Parenthood in Reno, Nevada and sent victims to hospitals in 2021. The first two involved victims who suffered serious bleeding after medical abortions that the clinic could not handle. The third victim was rushed to a hospital because of complications from a surgical abortion.

"She had free fluid in her abdomen," details Operation Rescue's Cheryl Sullenger. "There appeared to be internal bleeding. Her heart was racing, which is an indication that there'd been blood loss, and [she] was really drifting in and out of consciousness."

In addition to the fact that that particular Planned Parenthood is only licensed to perform chemical abortions, not surgical, the state also requires that a doctor be present for all abortions.

Sullenger, Cheryl Sullenger

"That means either surgical or pill abortions," Sullenger clarifies. "So if pills are being dispensed, a doctor has to be at the facility. And every time a woman has been transported from this particular Planned Parenthood office, there's never been a licensed physician on duty."

So Operation Rescue is filing a complaint with state health officials and calling for an investigation of the clinic's practices, specifically whether Planned Parenthood is violating state law.

Across the state line in New Mexico, two abortion entities in Albuquerque are writing checks for the role they played in a patient's death.

In 2017, Keisha Atkins experienced serious complications after her late-term abortion at Southwestern Women's Options. She soon died of pulmonary thromboembolism at the nearby University of New Mexico Hospital. The clinic has settled a malpractice/wrongful death suit for $900,000.

"Last month we found out that the University of New Mexico, which negligently referred this one girl to Southwestern and then she subsequently died after that, they settled for $365,000," Sullenger details. "So that brings the total to over $1.26 million."

But according to the Operation Rescue senior vice president, the clinic -- whose owner, Curtis Boyd, is well into his 80s -- has a lengthy record of injuring women.

"There have been a number of women who have been hospitalized with very serious complications to late-term abortions from that facility," she says. "For some reason, we can't get the medical board to discipline any of the abortionists who have been responsible for these injuries and for Keisha Atkins' death."

New Mexico is considered the late-term abortion capital of the country.