'All clear' after apparent shooting at UNC's flagship campus

'All clear' after apparent shooting at UNC's flagship campus

'All clear' after apparent shooting at UNC's flagship campus

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — An apparent shooting at the University of North Carolina's flagship campus Monday led students and faculty to barricade themselves in dorm rooms, offices and classrooms for hours until the lockdown was lifted.

About three hours after warning students to seek shelter indoors and avoid windows Monday, the school posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, "All clear. All clear. Resume normal activities."

The school didn't say whether anyone had been shot or arrested, and it didn't immediately respond to an email requesting further information.

Although school officials and local authorities didn't provide details about the alleged shooting, Gov. Roy Cooper posted on X that he had spoken to the Orange County sheriff and the state's public safety secretary and "pledged all state resources needed to capture the shooter and protect the UNC campus."

Cooper's office declined to provide further information, saying it didn't want to get ahead of what local authorities were saying. School officials said as soon as they had verified information, they would share it.

The school's first alert was sent out just after 1 p.m. At 1:50 p.m., officials posted on X that the shelter-in-place order remained in effect and that it was "an ongoing situation." About 40 minutes later, the school added a post saying: "Remain sheltered in place. This is an ongoing situation. Suspect at large."

About two hours after the first alert went out, officers were still arriving in droves, with about 50 police vehicles at the scene and multiple helicopters circling over the school.

One officer admonished two people who tried to exit the student center, yelling "Inside, now!" About 10 minutes later, law enforcement escorted a group of students out of one of the science buildings, with everyone walking in an orderly line with their hands up.

Shortly before 4 p.m., students and faculty started emerging from campus buildings, with the lockdown over.